Dr Katsaros is a Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon with over 35 years experience in the medical profession.
He is a senior consultant at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, Department of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, as well as a supervisor of Plastic Surgical Training.
Dr Katsaros has been heavily involved in experimental research projects throughout his years of practicing and has contributed to countless publications.
- 1974: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Adelaide)
- 1995: FRACS, Fellowship in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- 2003-2017: Supervisor of Advanced Training in Plastic Surgery, Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH)
- 2003-2010: Director, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Dept. of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- 2001-2017: Examiner, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Royal Australian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- 1997-1999: Chairman, National Board of Studies, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, RACS
- 1995-2002: Senior Visiting Plastic Surgeon Consultant, Flinders Medical Centre
- 1993-1998: Board Member, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, RACS
- 1993-1997: Honorary Plastic Surgeon, Adelaide Women’s & Children’s Hospital
- 1984-2017: Private practice, 174 Ward Street, North Adelaide
- 1984-1993: Consultant Plastic Surgeon/Consultant Burns Surgeon, RAH
- 1983: Senior Registrar in Plastic Surgery
- 1982: Christine Kleinert Fellow in Hand Surgery, USA
- 1982: Amelia Brown Fraizer Fellow in Microsurgery, USA
- 1981: Fellow in Plastic Surgery, Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine
- 1980: Registrar in Plastic Surgery, Canniesburn Hospital, UK
- 1978-1979: Registrar in Plastic Surgery, RAH
- 2006 – present: HONARY Member British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons.
- 1981 – 1996: INTERPLAST – Malaysia, Indonesia, Mauritius, Philippines & Tonga
- 1988 – present: Australian Cleft Lip and Palate Society
- 1988 – present: Australian Hand Surgery Society
- 1985 – present: International Society of Reconstructive Micro Surgery
- 1989 – present: Australian Society Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- 1988 – present: Australian Association of Surgeons
- 1983 – present: Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- 1974 – present: Australian Medical Association
1. Katsaros J., Tan E. Free Bowel Transfer for Pharyngo-Oesophageal Reconstruction: An Experimental and Clinical Study.Brit. J. Plastic Surgery, 1982, 268-276.
2. Katsaros J. Use of the Island Tensor Fasciae Latae Flap to Cover a Chest Wall Defect. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1982, 1007-1009.
3. Katsaros J., Gilbert D., Russell R. Bipedicled Latissiumus Dorsi Groin Flap as Direct Cover of Large Upper Extremity Defects. Brit. J. Plastic Surgery, 1983, 67-71.
4. Katsaros J., Schusterman M., Acland R. et Al.The Lateral Arm Flap Abstr. Int. Congress of Plastic Surgery, Montreal, 1983.
5. Katsaros J., Schusterman M., Beppu M. et Al. The Lateral Arm Flap – Anatomical and Clinical Aspects. Annals Plastic Surgery, 1984, 489-500.
6. Katsaros J., Banis J.C., Acland R.D., Tan E. Monitoring Free Vascularized Jejunum Grafts. Brit. J. Plastic Surgery 1985, Vol. 38, 220-222.
7. Evans D. Free Tissue Transfer to the Upper Limb.Chapter by J. Katsaros on “The Use of the Lateral Arm Free Flap in Trauma to the Upper Limb.” (Churchill – Livingstone, 1992).
8. Tan E., Katsaros J., Zoltie N. Free Tissue Transfer to the Lower Extremity. Aust. N.Z. J. of Surgery, 1988. Vol. 58, 369-372.
9. Katsaros J. et Al. Cost Effectiveness of Free Tissue Transfer.Aust. N.Z. J. of Surgery, 1988, Vol. 58, 373-376.
10. Katsaros J., Tan E., Sheen R., Ear Replantation Brit. J. of Plastic Surgery, 1988 ol. 41, 496-499.
11. Katsaros J., Tan E., Zoltie N., and Vengkataramakrishnan.The Use of the Lateral Arm Flap in Upper Limb Surgery. J. of Hand Surgery (1991) Vol. 16A, 598-604.
12. Zoltie N., Katsaros J., Tan E.,The Sheep as a Model for Human Tibial Trauma. J. Reconstrc. Microsurg. 4 (5): 399-402, 1988.
13. Zoltie N., Katsaros J., Tan E. A Free Flap System in Sheep. Microsurgery 9:213-216. 1988.
14. David D., Tan E., Katsaros J., Sheen R., Mandibular Reconstruction with Vascularised Iliac Crest – A Ten Year Experience. Plastic & Reconstr. Surgery, 1988 Vol. 82, 792-801.
15. Griffin P.A., Tan E., Katsaros J., Late Arterial Thrombosis in a Replanted Thumb. J. Reconstr. Microsurg. (5) 1989 75-77.
16. Katsaros J., Tan E., Zoltie N., Free Flap Cover of Acute Hand Injuries. Injury, 20:96-97, 1989.
17. Katsaros J., David D., Griffin P., Moore M. Facial Dysmorphology in the Neglected Paediatric Head and Neck Burn. Brit. J. Plastic Surgery 1990. Vol. 43, 232-235.
18. Katsaros J. Chapter 14: “Soft Tissue Defects of the Lower Limb”. In Soutar D. (Ed) “Microvascular Surgery and Free Tissue Transfer – A Guide to Clinical Practice”.(Arnold) 1992.
19. Mixter R.C., Rao V.K., Katsaros J., Moon J. & Tan E. Simultaneous Reconstruction of Cervical Soft Tissue and Oesophagus with a Gastro-omental Free Flap. Plastic & Reconstr. Surgery Nov. 1990 Vol 86 Pg. 905-909.
20. Katsaros J., Tan E., Zoltie N. et Al. “Further Experience with the Lateral Arm Free Flap”. Plast. & Reconstr. Surgery, 1991, Vol. 87, 902-910.
21. Katsaros J., Proudman T.W. “The Very Long Posterior Tibial Artery Island Flap”. Brit. J. of Plastic Surg 1991, 44, 599-601.
22. Katsaros J. “Indications for Free Soft Tissue Flap Transfer to the Upper Limb and Role of Alternative Procedures”. Hand Clinics August 1992, Ed. M.B. Wood.
23. Katsaros J., Milner R., Marshall N.J. Perichondrial Arthroplasty Incorporating Costal Cartilage. J. Hand Surgery (Brit & Eur. Vol 1995) 20B:2:137-142.
24. Katsaros J., (Video) 1978 Free Jejunum to the Cervical Oesophagus in Dogs.
25. Katsaros J., Tan E. (Video) 1984. The Lateral Arm Osteocutaneous Free Flap.
26. Katsaros J., Menz P., Morgan R.G. (Video) 1994. Bilateral Breast Reconstruction Using Two TRAM Flaps.
27. Dean N., Katsaros J. et al. Massive Haemorrhage in Facial Fracture Patients – Definition, Incidence and Management. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery (In Press)
28. Katsaros J., Harvey I. “The Triplicated Inferior Pedicle – a New Method for Breast Reduction and Mastopexy”. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery July 2010
29. Jamieson G, Katsros J Parotidectomy: The Anatomy of the Parotid Gland and the Facial Nerve. The Anatomy of General Surgical Operations Second Edition. Churchill Livingstone
30. Jamieson G, Coventry B, Katsaros J Clearance Lymphadenopathy of the Groin: The Anatomy of the Femoral Triangle and Groin Lymph Nodes. The Anatomy of General Surgical Operations Second Edition. Churchill Livingstone
31. Rainsbury R, Coventry B, Giuliano A, Mansel R, Katsaros J, Rahdon R, Ramakrishnan V, Clough K, Hansen N, Mabry H Breast, Endocrine and Surgical Oncology – Breast Surgery. Surgery: Complications, Risks and Consequences 2014 Springer