Dr Roberts has an array of medical responsibilities, ranging from appointments in Diabetic outpatient services, working with the Clinical Chemistry Division of the I.M.V.S as well coordinating general Diabetes services.
He has over 40 years of experience in the medical profession and has been conducting ground breaking research in Diabetes and other medical issues since 1974. He has contributed to and authored countless articles and has been invited to speak at world renown events like the Asia Pacific Diabetes Leaders Summit, Beijing 2008.
Dr Tony Roberts is currently a senior consultant for the Endocrine & Metabolic Unit and a coordinator for the Thyroid and Parathyroid Clinic at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
Dr Roberts engages in private practice as an Endocrinologist and is the principal investigator at SA Endocrine Research Pty Ltd.
- 1975: University of Adelaide, M.B.B.S
- 1982: F.R.A.C.P
- Senior Consultant – Endocrine & Metabolic Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, ADELAIDE
- Coordinator – Thyroid and Parathyroid Clinic, Royal Adelaide Hospital, ADELAIDE
- Consultant Endocrinologist – Private Practice, KESWICK SA
- Principal Investigator – SA Endocrine Research Pty Ltd, KESWICK SA
- 1985 – 1997: Medical Coordinator – Diabetes Centre, Royal Adelaide Hospital
- 1985- 1997: Honorary Consultant – Endocrinologist Centre for Women & Children
- 1985 – 1997: Honorary Consultant – Endocrinologist, South Australian Sports Institute KIDMAN PARK
- 1985 – 1994: Senior Visiting Consultant – Endocrinologist Diabetes Education Centre
Lyell McEwin Health Service, ELIZABETH
- 1990 – 1999: Consultant Endocrinologist – Osteoscan Pty Ltd (Bone Densitometry service) Ashford Specialist Centre ASHFORD
- 1990 – 2001: Principal Investigator – Ashford International Research Centre (Ashford Specialist Centre)
- Health Promotions Unit
- Medical Records Committee
- RAH Library Committee – Chair
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Endocrine Society of Australia
- Australian Diabetes Society
- Australian Diabetes Educators Association
- Adelaide Clinical Endocrine Society
- South Australian Salaried Medical Officers Association
- Australian Doctors Fund
- Australian Medical Association
- Osteoporosis S.A.
- Diabetes Australia – SA
- Australian Menopause Society
- Australian & New Zealand Bone & Mineral Society
- Australian & New Zealand Obesity Society
- Australian & New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Australian Pituitary Foundation
- Australian Thyroid Foundation
- University of Adelaide Alumni
- American Diabetes Association
- International Bone Densitometry Society
- International Bone & Mineral Society
- International Diabetes Federation
- International Osteoporosis Foundation
- National Osteoporosis Foundation (USA)
- National Osteoporosis Society (United Kingdom)
- The World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Wilson, L., Roberts, A., O’Halloran, M. Twice daily methyldopa: Home blood
pressure recordings. Med.J. Aust 1979; 2: 263
- Roberts, A.P., Story, C.J. and Ryall, R.G. Erythrocyte 2,3- bisphosphoglycerate
concentrations and haemoglobin glycosylation in normoxic insulin dependant
diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 1984; 26:389
- Story, C.J., Roberts, A.P. and Ryall, R.G. Borderline maintenance of erythrocyte
2, 3-diphosphoglycerate concentrations in normoxic Type I diabetic subject. Clinc.
Science 1985, 69:106
- Horowitz, M., and Roberts, A.P., Long term efficacy of Cisapride in diabetes
gastroproesis. AM J Med 1990;89:195
- Westerman, R. Delaney, C., Ivamy-Philips, A., Horowitz, M., and Roberts, A.P.
Concordance between different measures of small sensory and autonomic fibre
neuropathy, in diabetes mellitus. Clinical and Experimental Neurology 1989; 26
- Roberts A.P. Initiation of insulin therapy in a patient with insulin dependant
diabetes mellitus. Diabetes 1995 1;4:
- Taggart H, Bolognese M, Lindsay R, Ettinger M.P., Mulder H, Josse R.G, Roberts
A, Zippel H, Adami S, Ernst T and Stevens K. P. Upper gastrointestinal Safety
Profile of Risedronate in the Treatment and Prevention of Postmenopausal and
Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis. Submitted 2001.
- Worthley D.L., Harvey N.T, Hill N.L., Walsh R.L., Edwards J.B. and Roberts A P.
Urinary transferrin and albumin concentrations in patients with Type I diabetes and
normal controls: The search for the first protein lost. Clinical Biochemistry 2001;
- Roberts A P. Inhaled Insulin – work in progress, Diabetes Management Journal
- Standl E, Lang H. Comparison of the Long-term Safety & Efficacy of Insulin
Detemir and NPH insulin showed favourable weight reduction for insulin Detemir
in subjects with Type I diabetes on a basal-bolus regimen and with meal related
human soluble insulin. Diabetes Core (submitted).
- Benedikt Greutelaers, Katrin Kulen, Peter Malycha, James Kollias, Melissa
Bochner, Anthony Roberts, Garry Wittert Janice Pasieka. The PASIEKA Illness
Questionnaire: its value in primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Kennedy RJ, Roberts A P, Reece GH, Malycha PL. Minimally Invasive
Parathyroidectomy for recurrent or persistent hyperparathyroidism using carbon
track localisation. Aust. NZ Journey Surgery: 2003.
- Eberhard Standl, Hanne Lang, Anthony Roberts. The 12-month efficacy and
safety of insulin detemir and NPH insulin in basal-bolus therapy for the treatment
of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics (submitted).
Curriculum Vitae Dr Anthony Philip Roberts
- David M. Kendall, MD, Cindy J. Rubin, MD, Pharis Mohideen, MD, Jean-Marie
Ledeine, MSC, Rene Belder, MD, Jorge Gross, MD, Paul Norwood, MD, Michael
O’Mahony, MD, Kenneth Sall, MD, Greg Sloan, MD, Anthony Roberts, MBBS, Fred
T Fiedorek, MD and Ralph A. DeFronzo. Improvement of glycaemic control,
Triglycerides and HDL-C Levels with Muraglitazar, a dual (a/g) PPAR Activator in
Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Inadequately Controlled with Metformin
Monotherapy: A double-blind, randomized, Pioglitazone-comparative study.
Diabetes Care: in press.
- Hugh Taggart, MD; Michael A. Bolognese, MD; Robert Lindsay, MD, PhD; Mark P.
Ettinger, MD; Henk Mulder, MD, PhD; Robert G Josse, MBBS; Anthony Roberts,
MBBS; Hartmut Zippel, MD; Silvano Adami, MD; Teresa F. Ernst, PharmD; Karen
P. Stevens, PharmD; on behalf of the risedronate clinical study investigators.
Upper Gastrointestinal Safety of Risedronate: A Pooled Analysis of Nine Clinical
Trials. Mayo Clinic Proceedings (submitted)
- M. J. Hooper, P. R. Ebeling, A. P. Roberts, J. J. Graham, G. C. Nicholson, M.
D’Emden, T. F, Ernst and D. Wenderoth. Risedronate prevents bone loss in early
postmenopausal women: a prospective randomised, placebo-controlled trial.
- Barnett A, Kendall D, Johns Jr D, Burger J, Trauntmann M, Brodows R, Roberts
A. Tolerability and efficacy of Exenatide and titrated insulin Glargine in Adults.
patients with Type 2 diabetes previously uncontrolled with Metformin or a
Sulphonylurea, a multinational, randomised open label, two period, cross over,
non-interiority trial. Clin. Therapeutics on-line. 2007
- Carter J and Roberts A. The usability of a pre-filled insulin injection device in a 3
month observational survey of everyday clinical practice in Australia. Results of
telephone interviews with Health Care Professionals and people with Diabetes.
Curr Med. Res. Opinion. Submitted 2008.
- Reginster J Y, Bruyere O, Sawicki A et al. Long-term treatment of postmenopausal
osteoporosis with strontium ranelate: Results at 8 years. Bone 2009; 45: 1059-
- Meneghini L, Home P, Wendisch U et al. Insulin Degludec, a new generation ultralong-
acting insulin in a mealtime + basal regimen in people with Type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 661-665.
- Gregory Fulcher, Anthony Roberts Snr Consultant RAH, Ashim Sinha, Joseph
Proietto. What happens when patients require intensification from basal insulin? A
retrospective audit of clinical practice for the treatment of type 2 diabetes from four
Australian centres. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Vol. 108, Issue 3,
p405–413. Published online: March 15 2015