Professor Dr Justin La Brooy is an internationally recognised specialist in adult infectious diseases.
He is skilled in the care of TB, Heb B, Hep C and others.
The care of Hep C has become quite exciting with the availability of treatments which are curing a large majority of carriers with that illness.
He has international experience with a career spanning over 45 years and has contributed immensely to the medical profession. From lecturing at universities around Australia, to holding senior positions in medical institutions around the world, Professor La Brooy is on the leading edge of medicine. He has contributed to a plethora of medical journals and has been involved in many research projects over the last three decades.
1969: M.B.B.S. – University of Ceylon, Colombo
1972: M.R.C.P. – U.K.
1980: M.D. – University of Adelaide, Adelaide
1989: F.R.C.P. – U.K.
1969 – 1970: House Officer in General Medicine and Surgery, General Hospital, Colombo.
1970 – 1972: Senior House Officer in Geriatrics, Chest Diseases and General Medicine in the U.K. (Galashiels, Aylesbury, Kingston-on-Thames)
1972 – 1973: Registrar in General Medicine, King’s College Hospital Group, London.
1973 – 1974: Welcome Foundation Research Fellow, Medical Unit, King’s College Hospital, London.
1974 – 1993: In the Department of Medicine of the University of Adelaide with a conjoint appointment at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide
- a) Temporary Lecturer
- b) Lecturer
- c) Senior Lecturer
Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide
- a) Visiting Physician
- b) Senior Visiting Physician
- c) Gastroenterologist
- d) Consultant in Infectious Diseases
- e) Head of Infectious Diseases Unit
1981 – 1981: Honorary Lecturer, Royal Free Hospital Medical School, University of London. (On sabbatical).
1993 – 2000: Professor of Medicine, University of Queensland, North Queensland Clinical School
Director of Medicine, Townsville General Hospital
Director of Infectious Diseases, Townsville General Hospital
2000 – 2003: Foundation Professor of Medicine, James Cook University, QLD.
Chairman, Institute of Medicine, Townsville Hospital, Townsville
2003 – 2012: Clinical Director, Internal Medicine Service, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide
Senior Consultant in Infectious Diseases, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide
Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Adelaide
Committees & Memberships
Current Committee Membership
State Department of Health:
- SASBAC (South Australian Sexually Transmissible Infection and Blood Borne Virus Advisory Committee)
PREVIOUS COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
- RAH Infection Control Committee (Chairman 1984 – 1993)
- RAH Research Review Committee
- RAH Physicians’ Committee (Secretary 1983)
- Medical Staff Society Executive
- RAH / University of Adelaide Advisory Committee (1991 -1993)
- Townsville Hospital Executive (2001 – 2003)
- Townsville Hospital Clinical Privileges Advisory Committee (Chair)
- Townsville Hospital Infection Control Committee
- South Australian Department of Health Hospital Access Task Force
- SA Department of Health and CALHN “Improving outpatients” Steering group.
- New RAH Planning Committe
- University of Adelaide Curriculum Committee (1988 – 93)
- Faculty of Medicine Higher Degrees Committee (Chair)
- North Queensland Clinical School Advisory Committee
- North Queensland Clinical School Management Committee
- University of Adelaide Curriculum Committee (2003 – 10)
National (College and Learned Societies):
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)
Education Committee (Lead for CPD Adult Division)
- RACP (Adult Division):
Council Member Adult Division
Registrar of Council (Adult Division)
Therapeutics Advisory Committee
Lead for CPD
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia:
Member – Regulatory Affairs Committee
Member – Scientific Program Committee
Chairman – Therapeutics & Investigations Advisory Committee
- Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand:
- Australasian Society of Infectious Diseases:
Chairman, Scientific Programme Committee
ASID/ACTM Meeting May 1999
- Australasian College of Tropical Medicine:
Executive Council Member
Chair Scientific Programme Committee
- Australian Society for HIV Medicine:
Council Member (Foundation Committee)
Convenor South Australian branch
Professional Affairs Committee
- Norton R., Roberts B., Freeman M., Wilson M., Ashhurst-Smith C., Lock W., Brookes D., La Brooy J.T. (1998) Characterisation and Molecular typing of Burkholderia pseudomallei: Are disease presentations of Melioidosis clonally related? FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology 20, 37-44.
- McBride W.J.H., Mullner H., La Brooy J.T., Wronski I. The 1993 dengue 2 epidemic in Charters Towers, North Queensland: clinical features and public health aspects. Epidemiology and Infection (1998) 121(1): 151-6.
- McBride W.J.H., Mullner H., La Brooy J.T., Wronski I. (1998) The 1993 dengue 2 epidemic in North Queensland: a serosurvey and comparison of Hemagglutination inhibition with ELISA. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygeine 59(3): 457-61.
- McBride W.J.H., Mullner H., Muller R., La Brooy J.T., Wronski I. (1998) Determinants of dengue 2 infection in residents of Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia. American Journal of Epidemiology 148 (11): 1111 – 1116
- Dyer J.R., Ketheesan N., Norton R.E., Ashhurst-Smith C.I.J., Keary P., La Brooy J.T. (1999) Disseminated Infection due to Nocardia transvalensis Coincident with Cryptococcus neoformans variety gattii Meningitis. European Journal Clinical Microbiol Infectious Disease 18:587-590
- Ramsay S.C., La Brooy J.T., Ketharanathan S., Matthiesson T. (1999) Assessment of the extent and activity of melioidosis with Technetium labelled leukocyte scanning. Australian New Zealand Journal of Medicine 29: 739 – 740
- Soden M.A.M., Vasudevan S., Coelen R., Hamlin G., Vasudevan H., Roberts M., La Brooy J.T. (2000) Detection of Viral Ribonucleic Acid and Histologic Analysis of Inflamed Synovium in Ross River Virus Infection. Arthritis & Rheumatism 43:365-369
- Leakey A., La Brooy J.T., Hirst R. (2000) The Ability of Helicobacter pylori to Activate Neutrophils is Determined by Factors other than H. pylori Neutrophil-Activating Protein. Journal of Infectious Diseases 182:1749-1755
- Ramsay S.C., La Brooy J.T., Norton R., Webb B. (2001) Demonstration of different patterns of musculoskeletal, soft tissue, and visceral involvement in melioidosis using 99Tcm stannous colloid white cell scanning. Nuclear Medicine Communications 22 (11): 1193-1199.
- Ulett G.C., Currie B.J., Clair T.W., Mayo M., Ketheesan N., La Brooy J., Gal D., Norton R., Smith C.A., Barnes J.L., Warner J., Hirst R.G. (2001) Burkholderia pseudomallei virulence: Definition, stability and association with clonality. Microbes and Infection 3 (8) : 621-631
- Ramsay S.C., La Brooy J., Norton R., Webb B. (2001) Demonstration of different patterns of musculoskeletal, soft tissue and visceral involvement in melioidosis using 99mTc stannous colloid white cell scanning. Nuclear Medicine Communications 22 : 1193-1199
- Leakey A., Hirst R., La Brooy J. (2001) A low molecular weight factor is a significant mediator of non-opsonic neutrophil activation by Helicobacter pylori. Journal of Medical Microbiology 50 (9): 787-794
- Ketheesan N., Barnes J.L., Ulett G.C., VanGessel H.J., Norton R.E., Hirst R.G., La Brooy J.T. (2002) Demonstration of a cell-mediated immune response in melioidosis. Journal of Infectious Diseases 186, 286 -9
- Ramsay S.C., Ketheesan N., Norton R., Watson A-M., La Brooy J. (2002) Peripheral blood lymphocyte subsets in acute human melioidosis. Jnl. of Clin. Microbiol & Infect. Dis. 21, 566 – 68
- Lymbury R.S., Olive, C., Powell, K.A., Good, M.F., Hirst, R.G., La Brooy, J., Ketheesan, N. (2003) Induction of Auto-immune valvulitis in Lewis rats following immunization with peptides from the conserved region of group A streptococcal M protein. Journal of Autoimmunity 20, 211 – 217
- Ketheesan N., Whiteman C., Malczewski A., Hirst R.G., La Brooy J.T. (2004) Immunomodulatory effect of cryopreservation on cord blood cells. Journal of Transfusion and Apheresis Science 30, 47 – 54
- Ramsay S.C., Maggs J.A., Kethhesan N., Norton R., La Brooy J.T. (2005) Relative uptake of technetium 99m stannous colloid by neutrophils and monocytes is altered by gram-negative infection. Nuclear Medicine & Biology 32 (1) 101 – 7
- Ulett G.C., La Brooy J.T., Currie B.J., Barnes J.L., Ketheesan N. (2005) A model of immunity to Burkholderia pseudomallei: unique responses following immunizatioin and acute lethal infection. Microbes & Infection 7 (11-12) 1263 – 75
- Lazzaroni S.M., Barnes J.L., Williams N.L., Govan B.L., Norton R.E., La Brooy J.T., Ketheesan N. (2008) Seropositivity to Burkholderia pseudomallei does not reflect the development of cell medicated immunity. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 102 – 1: 71 – 75
- Costello S.P., Tucker E.C., La Brooy J., Schoeman M.N., Andrews J.M. (2016) Establishing a Fecal Microbiota Transplant Service for the Treatment of Clostridium difficile Clinical Infectious Diseases 62, 7, 918 – 914